TRACCE no. 5
Main Archaeological links, main Rock Art links, Short news and appointments…
Main Archaeological links
- Archnet The most complete world-wide. Many pages, areas, subjects, guestbook (by University of Connecticut).
- ARGE Archaeological Resource Guide Europe: it takes Naquane engravings as logo (Neolithic? Bronze Age?)
- Romarch Roman Classic (and Iron Age) archaeology in Italy and Roman provinces (by University of Michigan).
- Archaeological Fieldwork Server all over the world.
- SCESCAPE Science: Anthropology & Archeology, many good links.
- Anthropology Resources on the Internet Discussion groups, WWW, good and long list of links by Allen H. Lutis
- The Ancient World Web: Geography Index A lot of worldwide archaeological links
- odin1.html dreaming the past in archaeology: good links
- ArchDATA cadres d’accueil French Archaeology best sites
- Laboratoire du Lazaret French archaeology and research (Nice -F)
Main Rock Art links
- VALCAMONICA ROCK ART periods, tracings, pictures, links, Rock Art events, by Footsteps of Man
- TRACCE – TRACKS Online Rock Art Bulletin – by Footsteps of Man
- ROCK ART LINKS Best Rock Art site, by Bob Edberg!!!
- Rupestrian Archaeology Web Board an open space for online messages
- The homepage of American Rock Art Association (ARARA)
- AURA Home Page The WWW Home Page of AURA, Australian Rock Art Research Organization
- VALTELLINA ROCK ART prehistoric periods, pictures, by Footsteps of Man
- Rupestrian Archaeology and schools with 8 years children, drawings and tales, by GRCM
- Vale do Côa Página Principal Main page: refer to it about Côa Valley experience (in Portuguese)
- Rock Art Foundation Pecos Region on Southwest Texas, preservation and education
- Stone Pages Extra site! Dolmens, standing stones, from Scotland, Ireland, England. More than 60 sub-pages
- Brian Lee’s Rock Art web site Many links and photo collections
- Max Bertola’s Southern Utah Tour – Shaman and Rock Art Many good related pages.
- François Rock art Page Petrarq project – useful links
- ARCHEOLOGIA RUPESTRE Detailed text about NEWS ’95 congress held in Turin by CESMAP (Ita and Eng)
- Petroglyphs open A big first page for Hawaiian petroglyphs. Many sub-pages with little traced figures
- Project Info Field-work notes about Ometepe recording Project (Nicaragua)
- Parowan Utah – Parowan Gap Good page about Parowan Gap Petroglyph by Nal Morris
- landart.html Rich, and reach it (but long to load)! Many previews of different kinds of US petroglyphs
- Petroglyphs from western Tibet Very interesting site, but 700 K to load. Reach it anyway.
- Solmar Well done site about solar markers and petroglyphs, by John W. Fountain (USA), reach it!
- HohoKam Hieroglyphic Springs Page Best done framed WEB page on petroglyphs: by Michael C. Gillette, reach it!
- Mt. Bego rock art, with ten color pictures (Eng-It)
Rock Art mail list
- most recent subjects (1996 July-October)
- A mystery …(7.17.96. Rock Art magnetism. 5 messages)
- Gortner’s Martis …(7.19.96. Searching for Gortner’s Martis Indian book. 7 messages)
- Côa Valley…(8.18.96. Conservation problems at Côa Valley, Park Management, AMS samples. 7 messages)
- Quantifying sites in the USA …(9.5.96. Need help for quantifying the number of known sites in the USA.10 messages)
- Rock Art as business logo …(9.5.96. Copyright of pictographs on a rock for commercial logo. 12 messages)
- Rock Art pictures …(9.12.96. Downloading and sending via email rock-art pics. 7 messages)
- Rock Art Bibliography …(9-10.96. Rock Art Bibliography and databases. Various messages – 11)
- Report on US Rock Art …(10.4.96. Jean Clottes asked a report on US rock art for the ICOMOS and INORA. 5 messages)
- Quantifying sites in the USA #2.(10.14.96. Research funded by the National Science Foundation.10 messages)
- Women images …(10-14.96. Women’s depictions. Troubles with RD position. 17 messages)
- Entoptics …(10-30.96. Entoptics, shamanism, rock art research. 14 messages)
News from WEB pages
ARTE PALEOLíTICO EN EL EXTREMO SUR DE EUROPA
En las sierras del Campo de Gibraltar (Andalucía, España) existen algo más de ciento veinte estaciones conocidas con manifestaciones artísticas…
Art pariétal paléolithique de la Cueva de Ambrosio (Almería, Espagne)
Mots-clés: Art rupestre, Solutréen final, chronologie, sud-est espagnol.
New complete archaeological online documentation by LABORATORIO DE ESTUDIOS PALEOLÍTICOS Y REPRESENTACIONES ARTÍSTICAS (L.E.P.R.A.), Departamento de Prehistoria e Hª Antigua
Dirección: Departamento de Historia Prehistoria e Historia Antigua / Facultad de Geografía e Historia / Universidad Nacional de Educación a Distancia (UNED) / Senda del Rey s/n / 28040 MADRID
Tfno.: +34-1-398 67 71 / 72
Fax: +34-1-398 66 87
E-mail: Sergio Ripoll López.
- The 1996 summer fieldwork participants have prepared a WEB document for this TRACCE issue.
- Sample records (Real Audio enhanced) and tracings of Valtellina and Valcamonica rocks are available online.
- Next summer fieldworks will be hold at Grosio (Valtellina) on July 1997 and at Paspardo (Valcamonica) on August 1997
International Rock Art Congress 1997
- Cochabamba, Bolivia April 1-6, 1997. Sponsored by IFRAO and UNESCO.
Symposia and chairmen:
- Rock art dating (Watchman-Prous)
- The earliest rock art in the Americas (Steinbring-Schobinger)
- The earliest rock art – a world perspective (Bednarik)
- New approaches to rock art studies (D’Errico-Ogleby)
- Administration and conservation of rock art (Wainwright)
- New studies of rock art in south America (Briones-Dubelaar-Aschero-Podestrá-Taboada)
IFRAO meeting – Exhibitions. Registration of papers before September 30, 1996
Notice for the next issue (1997 January)
We call for short texts and images for the next issue.
Texts (obviously about Rock Art and in English or Spanish or French) must be no longer than 4500 characters.
They must have a short title, a signature and an address (also email if available).
Submit by writing or pasting them into the body of an email message (contact).
You can also reach RockArtNet, where you’ll be able to paste or type directly your text into the appropriate form.
For additional informations please reach TRACCE main page. Each author will have one or more online previews.
You are kindly asked to submit also images (2-3 each paper).
- If you are working on a PC/IBM, and your email program is EUDORA, we can accept any *.TIF – *.PCX – *.EPS – *.BMP – *.GIF – *.JPG. *.
GIF and *.JPG are the best.
Send them simply as attached files (contact).
- If you are working on a MAC, export them in a PC/IBM format (*TIF, *.EPS, perhaps *.EPS is the best), and in the same way send them as attached files (not in the body of the message) to (contact).
For short news and appointments (meetings, exhibitions, field works, books) please send an email to Andrea Arcà with no more than 200 characters and a WEB link if availaible. Alternatively you can reach RockArtNet, where you’ll find some useful forms which will provide to send texts TRACCE editor.
Anyway post-offices and postmen are still working: at last choice you can mail (or fax) papers and images (printed pictures, tracings, photocopies, books, reviews, newsletters… (our Rock Art specialized library is waiting for your books) to Footsteps of Man (real) address:
- Coop. Archeologica Le Orme dell’Uomo, piazza Donatori di Sangue 1 – 25040 CERVENO (BS) – ITALY – phone +39-364-433.983 fax +39-364-43.43.51.